‘Dysgeusia’ is a medical condition for the bitter or metallic taste of the mouth. A bad taste in the mouth may usually occur after eating something unpleasant, drinking, coughing, vomiting depending upon the cause and different medical conditions.
Given below are some possible causes that can results in bitter taste in mouth and also the remedies to cure the sour taste of your mouth.
Causes for the Bitter Mouth Taste-
Poor dental condition
Your poor dental condition like gingivitis, gums infection, toothache can results in bitter mouth taste making your mouth dry and smelly.
Flu or infections
The body conditions like cold, cough and fever possibly caused by the germs, infections or flu also plays a great role in making your mouth taste bitter and sour.
Consumption of many antibiotics, antidepressants, prenatal vitamins, multivitamins medicines can cause sour or rancid taste of your mouth. These medicines affect your taste buds thus making your mouth bitter and sour.
In women’s’ pregnancy can also be one of the major reason for the bitter mouth taste which usually occurs in early stage of pregnancy.
Cancer patients also face the same above problems of bitter taste due to the cancer treatment with chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
Unpleasant food or drinks
Bitter mouth taste also occurs in case you have eaten or drink something which is bad or unpleasant in taste.
Exposed to chemicals
Bitter mouth taste can also occur in case if you are exposed to the heavy chemicals like mercury or lead.
Remedies to take away the bitter taste
- Brush your teeth twice a day and maintain a good oral hygiene. After brushing do not forget to use mouthwash or mouth rinse for removing all the bad breath and bitter taste of your mouth.
- Prefer using dental floss or a tongue scrapper after brushing for cleaning your tongue.
- Use the mixture of baking soda and salt and apply it on your toothbrush for brushing your teeth. Repeat the remedy twice a day for better results.
- Start chewing 2-3 pieces of cinnamon, cloves or cardamom for eliminating the bitter taste.
- Eating citrus fruits like lemons, grapes, orange can also help you to get rid of bitter mouth taste and dry mouth.
- Drink lots of water for flushing out all the toxins from your body and making your body germs and infection free. You can also visit dentist in Dehradun, if you live there for oral health issues.